Thursday 17 May 2012

Week 10 Design Process

The Assignment 2 presentations were last week, and were not as successful as I had hoped. I had started to look at how my concepts for the library would work, and allowed the technical side of circulation and staircases to dictate my design, and rather than managing to find a solution that could keep the integral relationship with the water and allow proper circulation, I had just created nothing spaces that had lost their main ideas. I decided to go back to the beginnings of my ideas for the library and work from there. The spaces that I submitted in Project 2 had lost their close relationship to the water and allowing people to experience that, so I focused on the different experiences that could be had with water and how they could be used in the building.


Vision experiences

Sound experience

Reflection experience


Jesse had said during the week 9 presentations that he thought that I was going to separate the library out into different pods of experience connected by walkways, and that he had thought that idea was a good one, so I attempted to combine that concept and the different experiences.



I also went back to my original diagram of the section of the river that Jesse had been particularly interested in, and which a relationship to had been missing in my week 9 presentation, so I looked again at how this diagram could be applied to the arrangement of spaces.



I also looked at the Blur Building by Diller & Scofidio, which Jesse had suggested I look at.



Although the building is not directly applicable to the library that I am attempting to design, I think it was really important because it allowed me to see just how provocative a building could be, and the sort of experiences that are possible. Manipulating the space so that one sense is affected above all of the others is an interesting idea that I am exploring in the above images, and I think I would like to carry that through the project.

During the tutorial I'll discuss these images with Jesse and work out if they are back on the right track, so that hopefully I can produce a more evocative building than I designed for Assignment 2.

No comments:

Post a Comment