Thursday 31 May 2012

Week 13 Design Process

This week I have continued to work on the design that I took into tutorials last week, as Jesse was happy with it in the last tutorial. He had said, however, that he thought that the top half of the building would be much lighter than I had designed it, so I particularly worked on that section.

Redone section of the top half of the library


I also did up my floor plans this week so that they are ready for the final presentation.

Although Jesse asked that I try and make the building go deeper into the river, I have researched the depth of the Brisbane River, and concluded that the depth at the point at which I am building could only be about 15 metres. The river is deepest at its narrowest parts, reaching a maximum depth of 30 metres, and gets shallower the wider the river gets, reaching its shallowest at 4 metres at the mouth of the river (http://espace.library.uq.edu.au/eserv.php?pid=UQ:10885&dsID=sargent-dgp-8-2.pdf). I did a rough section of the river and my building sitting in it to see how the scale worked, and I believe it is narrow and tall enough for the scale of the site.

Rough site section


I think that making it this scale has really tied back into my original idea of drawing attention to the importance of the river and the power it has. The library acts like a light house, drawing peoples attention to the river from all around the site.

This week I also took in a draft of my diagram that represents the project.



Jesse thought that the diagram only represented one of the ideas in my project, the idea of moving from dark to light, and that my diagram could express the whole concept much better. I will work on this for the final presentation.

No comments:

Post a Comment